Hunting in Cyprus.

fallen73

Re: Hunting in Cyprus.

Δημοσίευση από fallen73 »

Hey guys - thanks for the quick admittance to the site :)

My name is Michael and I'm quite interested in hunting. I use a 40lb recurve bow and arrow as opposed to the standard firearms. Is it legal to hunt Mouflon (Agrino??) in Cyprus? If so, how would someone go about doing so whilst sticking to the rules? Thanks so much in advance!
Άβαταρ μέλους
spyrosspyrou851

Δημοσίευση από spyrosspyrou851 »

fallen73 έγραψε:Hey guys - thanks for the quick admittance to the site :)

My name is Michael and I'm quite interested in hunting. I use a 40lb recurve bow and arrow as opposed to the standard firearms. Is it legal to hunt Mouflon (Agrino??) in Cyprus? If so, how would someone go about doing so whilst sticking to the rules? Thanks so much in advance!
Hello Michael and welcome to the site! Sorry to disappoint you but it's illegal to hunt Mouflon in Cyprus. Ιt's strictly protected.
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το μέλος spyrosspyrou851 την 07 Απρ 2015, 16:03, έχει επεξεργασθεί 1 φορά συνολικά.
fallen73

Thanks very much for the info and for the kind welcome! That makes good sense - I will stick to birds when seasons permit :)
fallen73

Thank you :)

I'm originally from the UK and moved to the Larnaca area several years ago now. I've been more of a fisherman up until recently and a friend got me in to hunting
Άβαταρ μέλους
admin
Site Admin
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από admin »

Hi and welcome to our site ! since you are a fisherman you are also welcome to visit our other site www.cyprusfishingmagazine.com
Προσέχουμε...για να έχουμε
Άβαταρ μέλους
virtualgreek

Δημοσίευση από virtualgreek »

fallen73 έγραψε:Hey guys - thanks for the quick admittance to the site :)

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the site. It seems you've made quite a few new friends around here. I hope you enjoy your stay.

As mentioned by others, the Cyprus Mouflon is a protected species and hunting is strictly prohibited. I would also like to mention that bow hunting is also prohibited as it is considered a "silent" weapon which could be used for poaching.

Typically we use 12 bore double barrel shotguns. Pump and semi automatics are also prohibited. Not many choices as you may see, but its a small island with an estimated 45-46K hunters and the pressure exerted on the domestic game is too much. So all possible measures are applied, and yet still it seems that they are not enough.

Aside from the hunting and fishing in Cyprus, you may enjoy clay shooting. We have excellent facilities and some of the best shooters in the world.

Good to see you
VG.
Πρώτα από όλα πρέπει να είστε Κύριοι στο βουνό, και μετά κυνηγοί...
Άβαταρ μέλους
MARIOSE

Δημοσίευση από MARIOSE »

Wow Mike, bow & arrow birds shooting, that's something I've got to see 8-)
fallen73

Hey, thanks to you all for your informative responses! And thank you for the link to your fishing forum - I will take a look there too.

I'm glad that I learnt that bow hunting is prohibited before I practiced it! I'll sign up to an archery club and practice it there instead. In the UK, I often hunted pheasant and other small birds with a bow and arrow. I did try with a shotgun... until I took a bite in to a pellet lol.

I have used a shotgun since then (in the UK) but need to apply for a license in Cyprus. I'm half Cypriot with a Cypriot ID and a British passport - do you think that I'd be able to obtain a license?

Thanks so much again for all of your help
Άβαταρ μέλους
spyrosspyrou851

Δημοσίευση από spyrosspyrou851 »

fallen73 έγραψε:Hey, thanks to you all for your informative responses! And thank you for the link to your fishing forum - I will take a look there too.

I'm glad that I learnt that bow hunting is prohibited before I practiced it! I'll sign up to an archery club and practice it there instead. In the UK, I often hunted pheasant and other small birds with a bow and arrow. I did try with a shotgun... until I took a bite in to a pellet lol.

I have used a shotgun since then (in the UK) but need to apply for a license in Cyprus. I'm half Cypriot with a Cypriot ID and a British passport - do you think that I'd be able to obtain a license?

Thanks so much again for all of your help
It's actually very easy to obtrain a hunting license nowadays, there is a procedure but it's quite simple. You have to be at least 18, have a clean criminal record, you need a certificate from a doctor that you don't have any health issues, you then have to watch some mandatory informative lectures, go through a simple exam and that's it. Hopefully I haven't left something behind.

It might be a problem for you though since it's all in Greek unless I am mistaken. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Άβαταρ μέλους
MARIOSE

Δημοσίευση από MARIOSE »

Michael I guess you 'd better ask at the Tameio Thiras for all details. Their phone is 22867786 and here is a link to their site (in greek unfortunately for you):

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/Wildlife/wild ... enDocument
Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “ENGLISH SECTION”